Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cluster and Field Trips

It's the time of the year when all schools are having all their special events and field trips! This time of the year is not only super exciting but it also means that the school year is coming to an end! I am most definitely ready to graduate - I'm actually very conflicted about it, however. You see, I've been wanting to graduate since I walked into my high school four years ago. Now that I've experienced Ready, Set, Teach; I never want to leave! I cannot express to you how thankful I am for these group of kids to enter my life and allow me to be their student teacher. It's definitely been a life changing experience that I will never forget. 

Regardless of my dwindling time with my students, I still have managed to sneak in some more time with them! On Wednesday, the kids were having a field trip to their local junior high and I decided to take the entire day off from my school to spend a school day with them. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! First of all, I need to buy super comfy shoes when I become a teacher because they literally stand for 8 hours! Also, I now understand why teachers push for quiet/independent time. It was so serene when all the students were diligently working and you could hear a pin drop. The kids are so hyper during the school day and it's a lot to handle. After Wednesday, I will always give major props to any elementary school teacher. 

Today (Thursday) was the annual Cluster Track Meet. Also known as Cluster, the track meet is an all day event that's pretty much like field day - except you compete against other 6th graders from neighboring schools. All the elementary schools showed up to my high school because it was taking place in my high school's track field. I decided to take the school day off to watch them compete! During some of the events, I found myself tearing up because the kids were working so hard and they were winning and I was just so proud of them. They really needed a day off just to have fun after all the hard work and endless state testing they went through for the entire year. Although my elementary school did get quite a few 1st place ribbons, they didn't win overall - HOWEVER - the other schools were cheating heavily and were not following the Cluster rules. Knowing that our kids were playing fair made our losses AND wins a positive. 

For now, field trips are over and they have one more state test to take before school is out and they are ready to move on! I'm definitely going to cry, if not tear up during their graduation and clap out.

No comments:

Post a Comment